Sunday, October 13, 2013

Thinking Out Loud


So my eyes popped open at 4 am this morning.  I know you are all thinking WTF, it's Sunday dude, you should be sleeping.  Well, I follow my internal clock and wake up early and go to bed early.  I guess I am what you call a morning person.  Just don't talk to me before I have had a shower.  

I have been wanting to do a blog for some time now about things that run through my head that maybe others have running  in their heads too.  Over the last few years I have been thinking about the meaning of life. There must be a purpose to this existence right?  I am like most of you out there; I wake up, go to work, come back home and spend a small amount of time with my family then back to bed so I can repeat it all again tomorrow.  Frankly it sucks.  I would rather spend 4 hours a day working for a paycheck and 8 hours a day with my family.  Something is not right with life in North America. A lot of society spends so much time chasing the almighty dollar that family and peace of mind suffer, leading to mental as well as physical ailments running rampant in society.  Violence is on the rise, families fall apart and our youth suffer as a result.  Our youth is our legacy as a species.  If we don't pass on our values and just let them sort life out themselves we are doomed to revert back to more animalistic ways generation by generation.  Dog eat dog world right?

Compare our modern American society with the American society of say... the 1400s.  Pre Columbus times. The people in North America live in harmony with each other and with the environment.  Yes they warred with each other and there was violence just like now, but with primitive weapons the damage to mankind was minimal.  My point is that life was slower paced, family came first and everybody worked together for the good of everybody.  This may not have been the case in the more advanced societies like the Aztecs and Mayans because there is something about cities that brings out the greed of mankind.  The royals and priests seemed to amass great wealth.  In the more nomadic tribes of North America where life was maybe a bit more difficult, people worked together and had good lives.  A movie that illustrates this well is "Dances with Wolves" starring Kevin Costner and Graham Greene.


I am lucky because I happen to have this kind of sacred place right in my back yard.

Anyways, I guess what I am trying to say here is that today is Thanksgiving Sunday here in Canada.  As you stuff your bellies with the bounty of the land, think about what really matters in life.  Is it fancy cars and big houses, amassing fortunes of paper money, and 'getting ahead'?  Do we continue to plunder the earth for all her treasures until there is nothing left of the beauty and harmony that once existed on this planet?  We are part of this ecosystem.  We have the power to destroy the very system that supports us and all the other life on this planet.  We have the ability to understand our impact, the effects that our choices have on our world.  In nature there are natural checks and balances to keep populations from getting out of hand and destroying the balance.  We humans have stepped outside of that box because of our 'intelligence' but are we intelligent enough to learn to live in harmony with the rest of nature while still advancing our knowledge of the universe? 

Let us be thankful today that we have not yet destroyed our ecosystem and that we may yet have time to change our ways and start to live in harmony with the planet instead of crushing it under foot in the name of progress.

Imagine our world as a garden in a bottle. If you really think about it that is exactly what our world is. A self contained ecosystem.  There is no 'keeper' out there that will remove the invasive species from the bottle, the ecosystem will thrive or die based on what is there and how the various species live in harmony or not.

Read this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2267504/The-sealed-bottle-garden-thriving-40-years-fresh-air-water.html and imagine if you introduced 5-10 caterpillars to that system?  Are we humans that caterpillar species in our bottled world?

Dare to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment